“If we look at the world with a love of life, the world will reveal its beauty to us.” ~Daisaku Ikeda
If I asked an 8-year old to list all the things he or she loved, it might have looked something like this:
More ice cream
Saturday morning cartoons
In fact, I’m sure the 8 year old could have created an inventory longer than the usual Christmas list, including a ton of things that either tasted, felt, or looked good.
Not many people realize until later in life that some of the best things are intangible; and that we could experience them at any time if we just opened our heart and mind to let them in.
I think most of us know this intellectually—that pride in our work can be more valuable than what it buys, for example. But sometimes we get so caught up in securing the trappings of the good life—the house, the car, the furnishings, the clothes—we’re too distracted to notice and appreciate the intangibles.
That’s not to say there’s something wrong with enjoying material things. I’m still a huge fan of my TV (flatter and larger), ice cream (though the quantity has come down :)) and movies!!! It’s just that there’s so much more to love about life that doesn’t cost a dime.
In this context I asked a lot of people “What do you love about life?” Some of my favorite responses are:
3. Just being able to wake up to the sun shining in the morning.
4. The ability to overcome hardships and appreciate what I already have instead of wishing I had more.
5. Our ability to empathize. It allows us to connect and support each.
6. The ridiculous things my dog and cats do. They live in the moment and enjoy being alive, and it reminds me to do the same.
7. That I am someone who makes a real difference in the world.
8.Moments of realization that I’m not as alone as I too often think I am.
9. My children being healthy and happy.
10. Every breath I take reminds me I’m still here and still have much to enjoy.
11. The ones who never give up on me.
12. Positive and creative people.
13. I love the moments when more than one person ‘get’s’ the illusory joke and for a moment sees that we are one.
14. The love and support of my life partner.
15. Being alive and happy at this moment because is the only thing that exists. (It’s a family trait for us)
16. Positively affecting people without realizing it.
17. The beauty of it. No matter how bad things get, there is always something beautiful to keep us going forward.
18. All the funny people. (And this person couldn’t stop laughing :))
20. Freedom of choice!
21. The unexpected things.
22. That every moment in life is a chance for a new beginning.
23. Creating abundant joy is what I love most about life.
23. The diversity that everyone brings to the table.
24. Trying new things. (this is from a 75 year old person)
25. The amazing way the universe can materialize just what you need.
The list can go on & on…I want you to think about what you feel about life and respond in my blog comments! I would be definitely curious to know the reponses…:):):)